At 1100 hours at pier #1 in the Newport News Ship Building and Dry Dock Company, the U.S.S. Indiana, BB-58 was accepted from the builders by Admiral Manley H. Simons, U.S. Navy. Commandant Fifth Naval District. The ship was immediately placed in commission, the colors were the ensign flown on the first USS Indiana (BB-01) at the battle of Santiago, Cuba during the Spanish American War.
These colors were contributed by Commander W.B. Decker, Jr., U.S. Navy. The Commissioning Pennant used was the one hauled down when the first U.S.S. Indiana (BB-01) was decommissioned.
The Commandant Fifth Naval District then delivered the ship to the first commanding Officer. Captain Aaron Stanton Merrill, U.S. Navy, who read his orders.
The Flag of the Commandant, Fifth Naval District was broken, honors (except gun salutes) were rendered, the watch was set.
The First entry in the Ship's Log of the new U.S.S. Indiana was made by the Officer who signed the last entry in the log of the first U.S.S. Indiana, Ex-Lieutenant(jg) Leo J. Murry, U.S. Navy.
Last Updated 13 October 2000
All the world's a stage
© 1998-2011 Benjamin M. Givens, Jr.